Thursday, September 4, 2008

Daffy and Donald

Why doesn't the cartoon world like ducks? Disney and Warner Brothers. I think anyone would agree that they have traditionally been considered the two cartoon powerhouses, at least in America. Disney has Mickey. Warner Brothers has Bugs. The arch-nemesis for both characters? A duck. Mickey : Donald::Bugs : Daffy

Why is that? Why ducks? Is there something about them that seemed particularly disagreeable to the cartoon creators of yesteryear? I mean, I guess Disney didn't make Donald SO evil. He and Mickey are actually friends to an extent... but Donald has some bitterness towards Mickey, for sure. As far as Bugs and Daffy go, I don't know why we're supposed to love Bugs so much. If you watch any cartoon with them together, Bugs Bunny is as much of an asshole as Daffy is. They just set it up so that we know we're supposed to like Bugs better.

So what's the preoccupation with angry ducks? Why not geese? From my own personal experience, I know that geese are WAY more surly than ducks could ever be.

Damned geese.

No comments: