Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Okay, so it has begun...

Let me preface this by saying that, yes, I am a registered democrat.

That being said, I am going to make some commentary on the Democratic and Republican National Conventions.

Obviously, I spent much more time watching the DNC vs the few minutes of the RNC that I'm currently catching. Fred Thompson is speaking at the moment...

At first look, the RNC has a decidedly different energy than the DNC. The DNC was much more exciting... exemplified more hope and joy. I don't know about the other speeches that preceded Thompson's, and I understand that his point is to showcase the courage and dedication of John McCain to our country, but it was definitely depressing. I totally respect John McCain for his military history and his allegiance to the United States, but that's not to say that Obama isn't equally dedicated.

Watching the RNC, I can see why the republican party maintains the epithet of GOP (Grand Old Party). As the camera pans around to the crowd, most of the spectators look to be senior citizens. Gray or white hair... wrinkles... old fashioned clothes. Even the young men are wearing polka dot bowties. I swear, I saw a straw hat in there somewhere. I get tradition. I understand it's value. But I also understand the value of progress and change.

I'm getting pretty sick of these folks criticizing Barack Obama and his "celebrity" status. Yeah, he's popular. You know why? Because people want to see something in this country change. And truthfully, I think it's ridiculous and hypocritical that the people who are bad-mouthing Obama as a celebrity represent the same party to has elected such celebrities as Ronald Reagan (actor) and Arnold Schwarzenegger (actor and body builder) into office. And Fred Thompson? I knew him first as an actor on Law & Order. Sonny Bono? Recording artist turned mayor - Republican. Clint Eastwood? Actor turned mayor - Republican. So I guess it's okay to be a celebrity turned politician, but not a politician who has gained celebrity because of his high ideals.

Whatever. This is just my current commentary. I can't speak on much more because I don't know enough about the republican party and their history or whatever. But stay tuned for more once the debates start.

No comments: