Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Over-grooming

I work at a construction company. So you'd think people would be slightly more laid back about their appearance. Just a little bit... But over the 3 years that I've worked here, I've noticed it's just the opposite. I realized this yesterday, as I was in the ladies' room and caught one co-worker in the middle of her post-lunch grooming regimen.

When I walked in, she was brushing her teeth. Not an abnormal activity for many people after lunch, I'll admit. I figured once she was done, that'd be the end of it. No. She then proceeded to lightly freshen her face with some water, then re-apply her makeup. Then she brushed her hair. Then she straightened out her clothes. All this was followed by a light spritz of perfume. You'd think Brad Pitt worked in this office or something, with all the preening she was doing. Meanwhile, I was just trying to take a piss and blow my nose.

But she's not the only one who does this. I've seen several women do the post-lunch grooming... things outside of the normal brushing of teeth. Women will spend several minutes in front of the mirror here. Maybe I just don't get it because I'm such a sweatpants kind of girl... But the whole thing just seemed really unnecessary to me. I mean, you're at work and people have already seen you all day. Who else is left to impress??

No comments: