Monday, August 18, 2008

This weekend in pictures...

On Saturday, I went to this party at an art gallery with Christina... Lots of fun, I must say! It was a total departure from my normal weekend party-ish activities. While there, we saw an art exhibit that was pretty interesting... I don't know what you'd call the exhibit, but everything was in Ziploc bags. And it was all for sale, the cheapest piece of "artwork" being $50. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I really don't understand some art. And when I say "some" art, I really mean MODERN art. One bag was filled with creamed spinach and there was another bag that was just filled with helium... and it was selling for $100. So not only do I not understand modern art, but I also do not understand how this particular gallery decided on the prices for these pieces. There were several items that were really intriguing to me, but definitely nothing I'd pay $100 for. Maybe it's just because I'm broke. Anyway, the most interesting piece of artwork, to ME, was what we saw outside after we left:



Today was Indonesian Independence Day, but I totally forgot. I know. It's terrible. But I honestly didn't even know what today's date was until I looked at my phone at half past midnight on - today - the 18th. Anyway, I spent most of my afternoon at National Airport, waiting for some friends who I was picking up. They were to land in Terminal A and I realized that I'd never been in that terminal before... at least, not in any recent years. There was something about it that seemed oddly familiar to me, and I wonder if I'd been there many many years ago in my childhood. All indications are that it's the oldest part of the airport, and furthest away from the Metro exit. But I really liked it there. I'm referring more specifically to the area between Terminals A and B, where the Exhibition Hall is:



It was old and quiet and nostalgic, and you could watch the planes take off and land. I really liked it there. I could spend hours there, just in thought. I know that sounds weird, but the room kind of took me to a place far away... I don't know how to explain it. Anyway, you see how empty it was, so it was a good place to be alone with your thoughts without being locked up in some little room. I may even try and find more excuses to escape there.

No comments: